Saturday, February 07, 2009

Consciousness In a Pickle Jar


I was on that fine edge of a deep sleep and full consciousness when I had the darkest thought. I could hear the wind against the windows. Feel the cool air over my face. Sense my tingling toes against the blankets. Smell the week-old jeans and barely see the dim light through my still closed eyes. Then the thought hit me.

Is one form of hell a fully conscious brain without any direct sensory feedback? Lucid thoughts, desires, awareness but nary a sensory nerve in action. Holy damnation! No sight, feel, sound, smell, taste all the while the brain synapses firing away. To maintain a sense of sanity would the brain create its own imagined sensory feedback? Would its current memories provide the sense of surreal being?  Would new memories occur?

How do we know that this isn't already our current state?!?

Play safe my friends ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this is how a parapalegic feels?

boyze said...

Nope. A parapalegic still has hearing, eyesight, some feeling in their face, taste, etc. Still not a condition most would want but a long ways from a brain in a pickle jar.